York Family News

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Training has Started

Yesterday, I rode from Park Ave. in Des Moines to Cummings and back on the bike path. It was a blustery IA day. By the time we (Tom, Greg and I, members of Team on Tap) got to Willow Creek golf course, I definitely needed a little break. That is about the 1/2 way point to Cummings. We made it to Cummings in about an hour. Stopped at the local bar had a brew to celebrate my 1st of many journey's to Cummings. The we hoped back on our bikes and pedeled our way back to Orlando's in DM our starting point. With the wind at our backs the trip back to Dm took 30 mintues!

Why you might be thinking did I ride to Cummings & back w/2 guys from Team on Tap? Because this year I'm riding RAGBRAI (Registers Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa). It's the last full week in July. We start in Missouri Valley of the Western side of the state and ride our bikes to the Eastern side of the state ending up in Le Claire on the Mississippi River. Team on Tap is the group I'm riding RAGBRAI with this year. This years route is not in the "Top 10" for hilliest rides, it's #11. Not so great for a 1st time RAGBRAI rider but with the Tom driving the Sag bus I know he'll be there to let me on when one of those hills has gotten the best of me or it's raining! I don't ride in the rain and you shouldn't either. Bikes and rain are NOT a good combination.

Yesterday was the 1st training ride for me and I'm proud to say today that nothing is really sore except for area that sat on a saddle for 1.5 hrs. yesterday. Hence, why we started training. I have ridden for a couple of months now on an indoor trainer and that has helped get the bum and legs ready to roll for the many training rides I'll be on between now and the last week in July.

Why do RAGBRAI? Why not? Truthfully, I've always been talking about doing it, I like to bike and to say I've been on RAGBRAI. Wish me luck!
E

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home