York Family News

Monday, August 4, 2008

Another year

Today my mom called me at work to chat. Rule #1: never give your mother your work phone number because if she can't reach you at home or doesn't call on her normal weekend she'll call you at work! She was nice enough to ask if I was busy and when I said "not really" took it to mean I could chit-chat with her since I wasn't busy.

As I ended our call and was in the bathroom getting ready to go to meet my personal trainer for my workout later in the day. I realized why she sounded a bit down. August 1 had come and gone and again this year, it didn't dawn on me until today that my dad passed away 9 years ago on Aug. 1. The same thing happened last year and I felt terrible I didn't remember on the actual day.

When I think back to that dreadful day, my mom's voice is plain and blunt and I remember the conversation like it was yesterday. I also remember my roommate Kurt telling me my mom had called and he'd saved the message. I think he knew from her message something was wrong before I had even called her. I also remember not believing her right away because Ryan and I had just gotten back from a trip to Seattle, WA and it didn't seem real. Well, it was real alright and my brother and I immediately switched into planning mode and assisted in all the funeral details.

For years, I hated Aug. 1!! It was the dreaded day of that dreaded phone call. They say time heals all wounds and even though it's been 9 years and I forgot on the actual day, each August always reminds me of what I lost and the Grandfather Miss Elise will never meet.

So here's to you Dad! I love and miss you! Erika

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home