2008 Go Red for Women Heart Healthy Challenge
On or around June 16, I read an article in the DSM Register titled: Apply to join women's heart course in July. On a WHIM, purely a whim I filled out the registration, emailed it off and simply forgot about it...until today. I received a call from Cindy with the IA Heart and Vascular Center to schedule my blood work appointment. She called me at work, first catching me a bit off guard and second cauing a bit of panic in me because I had no idea I'd been selected to participate. She told me she was from the Go Red Challenge and I should have or will be getting an email to let me know I'd been selected to participate in this year's "2008 Go Red for Women Heart Healthy Challenge" and swiftly scheduled my blood work apt. for next week and as she's telling me about fasting I'm making sure to tell her do they realize I'm going on RAGBRAI. She thought they did and I know I put in my application I was going on RAGBRAI. I'm sure eating and drinking whatever I choose for a week on RAGBRAI will be frowned upon during this challenge. Oh-well, a gal only lives once and RAGBRAI is a 20-yr. dream/goal that I'm going to enjoy 100%!! Challenge/no challenge!
I remember telling Ryan about the article and really hadn't given it too much more thought, other than well I haven't heard anything guess I was selected. WHEW.
After scheduling my appointment, I was excited and fearful thinking now what have I gotten myself into this time. It's a 10-week challenge sponsored by the American Heart Association to increase women's awareness of heart disease and to decrease their risk for heart disease.
The challenge starts July 9 and ends on Sept. 19 with the winner being announced at the sixth annual Des Moines Go Red for Women Luncheon. I quickly called Ryan, whose in KY for a wedding and told him thinking and telling him maybe I could decline. Then a couple more conversations ensued via email at work (again frowned upon unless it's business) and by the time I'd gotten home for lunch I had an email waiting for me from Ryan. Simply stating that I'd signed up and I should do it. So I've told my team at SF, my boss and his boss (my old boss) and here I go.
What's involved in the challenge and really why I signed up, FREE training sessions with a personal trainer at 7 Flags Fitness, meetings with a registered dietitian who will oversee my progress and regular consultations & checkups w/an MD or physicians assistant. Again, ALL FOR FREE, FREE, FREE!!!
I remember following the article last year on the participants and when I saw this years application article thought why not. I'm still excited but fearful of what may be published in the DSM Register and the fact that I'll be put on stage at a luncheon at the Polk County Convention Complex when this is all done on Sept. 19, waiting to find out if I'm the "biggest" heart healthy makeover challenge winner or not. I still can't believe I was selected guess they thought I could use a makeover!
It's going to be a busy next 10 weeks!
I remember telling Ryan about the article and really hadn't given it too much more thought, other than well I haven't heard anything guess I was selected. WHEW.
After scheduling my appointment, I was excited and fearful thinking now what have I gotten myself into this time. It's a 10-week challenge sponsored by the American Heart Association to increase women's awareness of heart disease and to decrease their risk for heart disease.
The challenge starts July 9 and ends on Sept. 19 with the winner being announced at the sixth annual Des Moines Go Red for Women Luncheon. I quickly called Ryan, whose in KY for a wedding and told him thinking and telling him maybe I could decline. Then a couple more conversations ensued via email at work (again frowned upon unless it's business) and by the time I'd gotten home for lunch I had an email waiting for me from Ryan. Simply stating that I'd signed up and I should do it. So I've told my team at SF, my boss and his boss (my old boss) and here I go.
What's involved in the challenge and really why I signed up, FREE training sessions with a personal trainer at 7 Flags Fitness, meetings with a registered dietitian who will oversee my progress and regular consultations & checkups w/an MD or physicians assistant. Again, ALL FOR FREE, FREE, FREE!!!
I remember following the article last year on the participants and when I saw this years application article thought why not. I'm still excited but fearful of what may be published in the DSM Register and the fact that I'll be put on stage at a luncheon at the Polk County Convention Complex when this is all done on Sept. 19, waiting to find out if I'm the "biggest" heart healthy makeover challenge winner or not. I still can't believe I was selected guess they thought I could use a makeover!
It's going to be a busy next 10 weeks!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home