York Family News

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Aug. 1

It didn't really dawn on me until we were sitting around last night and Ryan was talking about our trip to Seattle 10-yrs. ago today! We arrived home that Sunday night only to have my roommate Kurt at the time tell me my mom had called and he'd saved the message.

Odd I thought because he usually erased them. He didn't say too much but I just had a feeling something was up. Ryan and I went to my room where I proceeded to call my mom. Only to have her mgr. at the time tell me she was asleep then ask who it was and told me she'd go get her.

From that moment on life was FOREVER changed!!! My mom got on the phone and sounded tired & worn out. As she started to speak rather than sugar coating anything blurtered out "Your dad is dead"! It was shock, silence and disbelief all at the same time on my end of the phone. I didn't believe her at first and she repeated those fateful words.

While time may heal all wounds and as the years go by it gets easier I for one will NEVER forget that fateful phone call!! Thank goodness for Ryan, Kurt, Megs, Chet & Sarah, Aunts, Uncles, Grandma & Cousins!!! Chet (my brother) & I flew into planning mode to get one of us to Colorado for mom & the other to Decorah to start planning a funeral. For Chet it was to fly to CO handle all the details for mom and fly back w/her and my dad. Chet, thanks for doing all that you did that week and to this day I'm forever grateful to you for doing what you did!!!

While today was a GREAT day for me kindergarten shopping for Elise's new school clothes, going on a bike ride w/my fellow Team on Tap RAGBRAI crew and finally hanging out w/my hubby. One can't but help to think about that call that still rings loud and clear on Aug. 1.

Dad, I LOVE YOU!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home